Print

Harrison's Indianapolis

Harrison Offices

First Office: Space in the State Bank Building at 32 1/2 West Washington Street
Then-now-1 then-now-2

1898 Sanborn Map

The building has been demolished.
It would have stood east of the Conrad Hotel

The Harrisons moved to Indianapolis in April 1854. Here Benjamin found that establishing a law practice was much more difficult than he had anticipated. In 1855, he formed a law partnership with William Wallace. They enjoyed a steady stream of clients and a regular income.


 

1861 to 1873: Harrison & Fishback at 62 E. Washington Street
then-now-3 then-now-4

1898 Sanborn Map

The building was demolished and is currently a parking
garage (between Pennsylvania St. and alley)

In 1860, Wallace was elected Clerk of Marion County, and the law partnership dissolved.  Harrison then formed a partnership with William Fishback.  Returning to Indianapolis after his service in the Civil War, Benjamin was filled with plans for renewing family relationships, re-establishing his law practice and returning to his office of Supreme Court reporter.  The firm of Porter, Harrison, & Fishback was formed.  By 1870, Harrison was with the firm Porter, Harrison, & Hines.


1873: Porter, Harrison, Hines at NE corner of Washington and Meridian Streets
1874: Harrison & Hines at 5 Yohns Block
then-now-5 then-now-6

1898 Sanborn Map

Yohn's Block on the right (Library of Congress Photo).
The building has since been demolished.

In 1874, William Henry Harrison Miller replaced Porter in the firm. Then, Mr. Hines retired and was replaced by John Elam. The firm was then known as Harrison, Miller, and Elam.


 

1875 to 1898: 68 ½ East Market Wright's Block later 120 East Market Street Union Trust Building
then-now-7 then-now-8
1898 Sanborn Map 1888 Photograph

“An American citizen could not be a good citizen who did not have a hope in his heart.” ~ Benjamin Harrison

Share Harrison's passion for giving and become a member, donor or volunteer of the Benjamin Harrision Presidential Site.