SPECIAL EVENTS AND MARKETING MANAGER
FULL TIME SALARY EXEMPT (40+ hours)
The Special Events and Marketing Manager brings excellent event planning and management skills, creativity, and enthusiasm to a collaborative, agile team at the home and museum of America’s Hoosier President. The mission of the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site is to “increase public participation in the American system of self-government by sharing the life stories, arts and culture of an American President.”
The primary job function is to organize and maintain the Special Events program of the museum. This position is responsible for coordinating/managing all aspects of annual events at the museum, helping secure foundation and corporate underwriting, recruitment of event participants and volunteers in partnership with the Volunteer and Relationship Manager, management of event logistics and contracts, and management of costs to achieve or exceed event financial goals.
Additional job functions include overseeing social media calendars and posts, writing and sending e-blasts and e-newsletters, updating the Presidential Site website, and working with PR/Marketing contractor on all other event promotion.
Requirements include significant event planning experience; excellent organizational, communication, and computer skills; experience with social media and web content design; knowledge of direct mail and print material development; ability to work with donors, vendors, and volunteers; and the ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities.
This position reports to the Vice President of Development and works in cooperation with all other staff members.
• The Special Events and Marketing Manager will:
• Develop annual budget and business plan for Special Events
• Plan, organize, and execute all special events at the Presidential Site, including the Presidential Egg Roll, Coffee with the Curator, Wicket World of Croquet, Candlelight Theatre, Independence Day Social, Porch Party, Juneteenth Foodways Festival, and special LIVE! event tours of the Presidential Site
• Partner with the Vice President of Development to act in a logistical support capacity for the Mary Tucker Jasper Speaker Series and Off the Record event as appropriate
• Work with the VP of Development to secure and steward corporate underwriting and grants in support of special event programming
• Partner with the Volunteer and Relationship Manager to prepare and train special event volunteers
• Work with PR contractor to promote the Presidential Site’s programs and initiatives
• Compile, create and send the monthly eNews and eBlasts to various email lists
• Work closely with Education to coordinate special event program schedules and staff support
• Evaluate all special event programming on annual basis and make recommendations for special events calendar
• Work with event committee chairs to manage Wicket World of Croquet and Juneteenth Foodways Festival committees.
• Oversee special event interns as appropriate
• Manage and market lawn rentals
• Coordinate with rental contractors to ensure compliance with Presidential Site policies and procedures
• Act as gatekeeper of the Presidential Site brand by ensuring consistency across advertising, promotions, internal work, campaign marketing, social media, and other areas of representation
• Other duties as assigned
• Knowledge of methods related to special event management
• Experience using social media platforms and scheduling services
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Knowledge of information storage/data processing and computer programs, including Microsoft Office suite
• Experience with Adobe Suite programs, in particular INDesign, a plus
• Experience in community or professional theatre a plus
• Professional experience in a not-for-profit organization, marketing, or hospitality-industry field.
• Successful track record and tangible experience successfully managing events.
• Flexible and adaptable style; a manager who can positively impact relationship development at the Presidential Site.
• Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels within and outside the Presidential Site.
• Energy and passion for the Presidential Site’s educational and historical mission is essential.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
• A professional and resourceful style with desire to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Full-time position in Indianapolis, IN. Normal office environment. Involves seasonal evening, weekend and holiday hours including Presidents Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day.
Email resume and cover letter to: Bethany Gosewehr, VP of Development, email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered will be contacted. The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Volunteers are always needed and welcome – learn more here! Equal Opportunity Employer
Don’t forget! Due to high demand, please note that reservations are required for all of our events here at the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site. Ready to make your reservation? Don’t wait! Once we reach attendance capacity, there is no guarantee you will be able to attend the event. We look forward to seeing you this summer—register today!Register today!
Thank you for being an important part of the Presidential Site and sharing a legacy in action!