DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND OPERATIONS
FULL TIME EXEMPT
Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site
This position contributes to the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site’s overall mission by leading financial, operational, and human resource management systems. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned professional with solid financial management skills, knowledge of nonprofit and fund accounting, experience in operations and a working knowledge of human resource practice. S/he will play a critical role in collaborating with the senior leadership team in strategic decision-making. In addition, s/he will have excellent written and oral communication skills, and a keen interest in the Presidential Site’s mission.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) reports to the President & CEO and also interacts with the Board Treasurer and Finance Committee on fiscal and investment matters.
The DFO has primary responsibility for all financial functions, policies and procedures. The DFO also oversees human resource functions through a PEO, gift shop operations, procurement, and facilities.
1. Ensure all financial policies, procedures and documentation requirements are adequate to protect the organization.
2. Manage the annual budget development process, monitor expenditures and variances, and update income and expense projections.
3. Develop and manage general ledger and fund accounting systems and procedures.
4. Perform all balance sheet reconciliations (bank accounts, investments, prepaids, deposits, accruals, depreciation, etc.) and prepare month-end close.
5. Manage restricted grant budgets, including periodic updates on budget variance.
6. Prepare monthly and ad hoc financial reports for the President & CEO and the Board of Directors.
7. Chart cash flow and ensure cash flow needs and adherence to finance policies.
8. Manage annual audit and tax return process; serve as the primary liaison with audit firm.
9. Negotiate, prepare, and monitor all vendor and consultant contracts.
10. Manage grant and donor receivables and coordinate tracking with Advancement team.
11. Serve as staff liaison to the Board Treasurer and Finance Committee.
1. Responsible for all human resources (HR) functions through PEO including hiring practices, employee review policies, professional development, and other HR activities.
2. Oversee payroll and benefits administration.
3. Maintain updated personnel and operations policies and procedures and ensure compliance.
4. Supervision of administrative staff and administrative volunteers as appropriate.
Operations, Technology, Gift Shop and Systems
1. Oversee management and maintenance of all office systems
2. Work with President & CEO on facilities management.
3. Handle ordering for gift shop; develop inventory tracking system.
4. Develop and implement risk assessment and emergency planning policies and procedures.
5. Manage organizational insurance policies and ensure organization is adequately covered.
6. Ensure compliance with emergency and security policies and procedures.
7. Oversee compliance with state and federal registration and reporting obligations, including state charity registrations.
1. At least 5 years of professional experience, with a minimum of 3+ years of nonprofit financial and operations management experience.
2. Accounting degree or financial management credentials required.
3. Able to set priorities and multi-task while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines.
4. Excellent communications skills.
5. Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the Presidential Site’s mission.
6. Ability to thrive as part of a team with diverse experience, expertise, skills and objectives.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “DFO Search” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered will be contacted. The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The mission of the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site is increase public participation in the American system of self-government by sharing the life stories, arts, and culture of an American president.
The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt organization dedicated to maintaining and preserving the site as a museum and memorial to the only U.S. President elected from the State of Indiana. Open to the public as an educational and historical service, the Presidential Site seeks to promote public spirit and civic engagement through appropriate educational activities. We are proud to be designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior. Our vision – as articulated in our new board approved 2021-2025 Strategic Plan – is to be the most innovative, inclusive, and civically engaged presidential site in the country.
Volunteers are always needed and welcome – learn more here! Equal Opportunity Employer
Don’t forget! Due to high demand, please note that reservations are required for all of our events here at the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site. Ready to make your reservation? Don’t wait! Once we reach attendance capacity, there is no guarantee you will be able to attend the event. We look forward to seeing you this summer—register today!Register today!
Thank you for being an important part of the Presidential Site and sharing a legacy in action!