The Harrisons moved to Indianapolis in April 1854; here, Benjamin Harrison found that establishing a law practice was much more difficult than he had anticipated. In 1855, he formed a law partnership with William Wallace. They enjoyed a steady stream of clients and a regular income.
In 1860, Wallace was elected Clerk of Marion County, and the law partnership dissolved. Harrison then formed a partnership with William Fishback. Returning to Indianapolis after his service in the Civil War, Harrison was filled with plans for renewing family relationships, re-establishing his law practice and returning to his office of Supreme Court reporter. The firm of Porter, Harrison, & Fishback was formed.
By 1870, Harrison was with the firm Porter, Harrison, & Hines.
In 1874, William Henry Harrison Miller replaced Porter in the firm. Then, Mr. Hines retired and was replaced by John Elam. The firm was then known as Harrison, Miller, and Elam.